The Little Dutch Boy Of Large Concrete Dams
Dam Seals in North AmericaCGLLC has been involved with installing in-situ dam seals with Structural Preservation Systems, Inc. Columbia, MD, for over 25 years. Work has been performed for
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- New Brunswick Power, Canada
- US Army Corps of Engineers
- Bureau of Reclamation
These seals are installed for two primary reasons:
1.Retrofit a dam for failed waterstops:
- Folsom Dam (Bureau of Reclamation), CA
- Harry S. Truman Dam (USACE), MO
- Apalachia Dam (TVA), TN
- Big Bend, SD
- Bagnell Dam, MO
2. For new expansion joints in dams experiencing alkali-aggregate reaction expansion problems. In these situations (TVA and Mactaquac) slots are cut into the dam to relieve internal pressure and seals are installed to control water infiltration.
- TVA dams: Hiawassee, Chickamauga, Fontana
- Mactaquac Dam (NB Power), Canada
Largest diameter seal installed is 14 inch at Mactaquac Generating Station, Fredericton, NB.
Longest seal is in Folsom Dam at 198 feet deep.